Inaudible Versification

"There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write." -William Makepeace Thackeray

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Holy Irony

I thought I'd provide some sweet irony for today's topic.

When I decided that I'd try my hand at freelancing, I knew it would not be an easy gig. I'd had been warned that I'd have doors slammed in my face all the time, I just never imagined, that the ones doing the slamming, would be a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Yes, it's true, I can't get a Jehovah's Witness to talk to me! I think I'll just dig my own journalist grave now.

You see they came knocking on my door one day, leaflets in hand, eager to talk and I decided, after seeing how sad and tried they looked, that it was time that someone told their side of the story, like how does it feel to have to walk door to door for miles, and then still deal with nasty insensitive people? The life behind the stereotype. They told me they'd be delighted to do it!

So Saturday roles around and I walk all the way up to their house and no ones home. The place is deserted, except for one very mean looking long haired terrier thing locked away behind the gate. I felt just a tad bit upset, but nothing too serious, anyone can forget an appointment or be held up somewhere else. I didn't make much of it and walk back home, waiting for them to call me.

I didn't hear from them until Monday morning, when they were back ringing my door bell. Of course they were so sorry they missed me on Saturday, they had things to do, but we could reschedule for that same afternoon.

Do we even need to go over what happened that afternoon at two? No Witnesses. No interview, and this time they didn't even get back to me.

I mean I work really, hard preparing for interviews, I do my homework. I work out all the questions, do the research and then this happens! But what makes it even worse. I thought they would understand how it would feel to be rejected when you only have good intentions.

So what have we learnt? That Jehovah's Witnesses aren't half as eager to express themselfs as they might seem!

1 Comments:

Blogger lk said...

Bee - it's hilarious and I like your writing. Keep it up and I look forward to read more from you.

1:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home