Inaudible Versification

"There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write." -William Makepeace Thackeray

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Rubik's Cube nightmare.

Did you ever have that one THING that everyone could do at school, only you could never seem to come to grips with? Maybe you had difficulties flicking your marbles in the hole during break. Or maybe you couldn't walk the dog (or any other animal for that matter) with your Yo-Yo.

My THING however was the infamous Rubik's Cube. It is inconceivable to me now that as a mere eight year old, my social standing in school was defined by whether I could line up all the colors nice and cube like.

Luckily for me, the craze did pass, and the next big THING turned out to be silkworm farming. (To be honest I wasn't much better at that, but I did find that if you arranged your silkworms in a certain way on the leaves, no one could tell that they were in the final stages of decomposing )

The only reason I have been able to live with my cubing baggage from childhood, is because somewhere in the back of my mind, it seemed impossible to imagine that this hobby would surface ever again. With the popularity of PC Games and consoles in South Africa, I never imagined that anyone would want to reinvent this square hobby.

I was wrong.

Walking by the toy section of the supermarket today, my worst nightmare came true! There on a shelf, looking all innocent, sat the Rubik's army.

The old cubes didn't come alone this time. They had brought reinforcements: spheres, pyramids, and even 16 sided mutations that should have never seen the light of day, all waiting for new young victims to enslave.

My prayers are with every young person out there tonight that are not net enabled, and cannot download the solution to this puzzle nightmare.

By the way...I still have my rubics cube. It is lock away in the attic. In a lead chest. With a huge freaking lock on it!

3 Comments:

Blogger MacDara said...

You're not the only one. Rubik's cubes drove me batty. Rubik's Clock was the same.

I was also rubbish at conkers. Didn't want to play marbels 'cause I was so bad I'd lose all of mine. I never learned how to use a skipping rope. And I still can't use a yo-yo properly.

10:00 pm  
Blogger Bee said...

You poor baby. I know how you feel. Next time I see you I'll give you a hug to help with the pain.;0)

Btw hunny, what is a conker?

10:06 pm  
Blogger MacDara said...

It's a horse chestnut on a string, usually an old shoelace. One person holds theirs dangling, and the other tries to smash it with their own, using the string as a catapult. Don't worry, I don't think many people outside of the UK or Ireland understand it.

1:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home